1. It isn't quite _____ that he will be present at the meeting.
A. sure B. right
C. exact D. certain
[答案] D. certain.
[注释]I am sure that +从句。He is sure to come. = He is certain to come.但在it作形式主语, that引导主语从句时, 主句中表语只能用certain, 不能用sure.
2. Many new _____ will be opened up in the future for those with a university education.
[答案] A. opportunities.
[注释]opportunity常指“ (难得的应抓住的) 机会”, 既可作可数名词, 也可以作不可数名词用, 如：I had few opportunities of meeting interesting people there. They had not much opportunity for hearing good music in the remote area.
3. The members of the club wouldn't run a _____ in entrusting(委托) the organization to an unreliable person.
A. danger B. risk
C. hazard D. chance
[答案] B. risk.
[注释]run a risk (in) 冒险：You are running a big risk in trusting him.
4. The meeting was _____ when the chairman fell ill.
A. put down B. shut out
C. cut short D. taken off
[答案] C. cut short.
5. John says that his present job does not provide him with enough _____ for his organizing ability.
A. scope B. space
C. capacity D. range
[答案] A. scope.
[注释]本题中scope (=opportunity; outlet) 施展机会, 发展余地, 是不可数名词, 如：Give someone scope to show his ability. Range意指“变动范围; 视听范围; 理解范围”, 如：the range of prices (价格变动范围).
6. I just managed to _____ a quick breath before I was sucked under the water by the passing boat.
A. snatch B. scratch
C. scrape D. scan
[答案] A. snatch.
[注释] snatch的原义是“攫取; 抓住; 夺得”。本题中snatch意指“匆忙间设法得到”, 如：He snatched an hour of sleep. (他匆匆睡了一小时觉。) snatch a quick breath (匆忙猛吸了一口气)。
7. My brother likes eating very much but he isn't very _____ about the food he eats.
A. special B. peculiar
C. particular D. unusual
[答案] C. particular.
[注释]be particular about对……讲究, 挑剔; She is very particular about what she wears. (她对她得穿着很讲究。) Mr. Smith was quite particular about my work. (史密斯先生对工作十分挑剔。)
8. I don't think the charge for overhauling (大修)the equipment is excessive in _____ to its size.
[答案] C. proportion.
[注释]in proportion to是固定搭配, 意为“与……成比例, 与…….相称”。反义语：out of proportion不成比例,不相称。本题称。
9. Voices were _____ as the argument between the two motorists became more bad-tempered.
A. swollen B. raised
C. developed D. increased
[答案] B. raised.
10. Having lived in the town for quite a few years, Mr. Johnson no longer felt _____ among the local people.
A. out of order B. out of place
C. out of control D. out of the question
[答案] B. out of place.
11. He stopped his ears with his hands to _____ the terrible noise.
A. show off B. cut out
C. keep from D. shut out
[答案] D. shut out.
show off炫耀; cut out删掉; keep from; 1) 隐瞒; She kept the truth from me. (她向我隐瞒真相。) 2) 不沾, 避开; He keeps from alcohol. (他滴酒不沾。) 3) 使不做某事：She kept herself from laughing. (她没有笑出来。)
12. My house is the only brick one on the street. It _____ and you can't miss it.
A. stands up B. looks out
C. sticks out D. wipes out
[答案] C. stick out.
13. After the show, the crowd _____ out of the theater.
A. poured B. melted
C. drew D. dismissed
[答案] A. poured.
[注释]pour 此处意为：涌出, 涌来, 如：People poured out to the rally. (人们踊跃参加群众大会。)
14. Although it is not our normal _____ to give credit, this time I think we should consider the matter more closely.
A. state B. intention
C. occasion D. practice
[答案] D. practice.
[注释]practice (=way of doing sth. That is common or habitual; sth. done regularly) 做法, 惯例 ：It is my practice always to rise early. To give credit 让赊欠：No credit is given at this shop. (这家商店概不赊欠。)
15. It gave me a strange feeling of excitement to see my name in _____.
A. news B. print
C. publication D. press
[答案] B. print.
[注释]in print是习语, 意指“印出来, 发表出来”, 如：She finally saw her novel in print. (她终于看到他的小说出版了。) in print 的另一个意思是“在印行, 还在发行”, 如：This book is still in print. (这本书还在发行, 可以买到) 反义词是out of print , 意指“不在印行, 买不到了。”如：The book you speak of is out of print. (你说到的那本书已不在发行了。)
16. The engineers have rejected the employers' proposals to end the strike and the other workers have come out in _____.
A. opposition B. return
C. sympathy D. readiness
[答案] C. sympathy.
[注释] in sympathy 以示同情, come out 此处意为 (=declare oneself) 表明态度, 所以come out in sympathy 意为“表示同情”。In return 作为报答, 如：I wanted nothing in return . (我不要什么报答。) collaboration协作, 如：work in collaboration with sb. (与某人协力合作) 。Opposition 反对, 如：rise in opposition to (起来反对) 。readiness 准备 (状态); 待机, 如：having everything in readiness for departure (做好一切准备, 以便出发)。
17. Her work is often very hard and she gets very tired. The work is _____.
A. wonderful B. splendid
C. tedious D. magnificent
[答案] C. tedious .
[注释] tedious (=tiresome ;wearying; uninteresting) "沉闷的, 厌烦的, 乏味的”。
Splendid 壮丽的, 辉煌的, 极好的。magnificent 壮丽的, 宏伟的：It was a magnificent ceremony. (这是一次盛大隆重的仪式)。
18. With prices _____ so much, it's hard for the company to plan a budget.
A. fluctuating B. waving
C. swinging D. vibrating
[答案] A. fluctuating
[注释]本句前一部分是"with+名词+现在分词短语"的独立结构, 做状语。Fluctuate (=move up and down) (指物价, 标准等的) 波动。如：Prices fluctuate from year to year. (物价年年波动) wave飘扬, 挥舞; 招手; (庄稼的) 波动。Swing摆动, 摇摆; vibrate振动。可见, 根据题意, 只能选A. fluctuating.
19. Some teenagers have a generalized resentment against society, which _____ them the rights and privileges of adults, although physically they are mature.
A. deprives B. restricts
C. rejects D. denies
[答案] D. denies.
[注释]deny (=refuse to give or allow) 拒绝给予:He denied his children nothing . (孩子们要什么他就给什么。) deprive (=take away from) .剥夺。deprive sb. of sth.剥夺某人某物：They deprived women of the right to vote. (他们剥夺了妇女的投票权。) restrict (=keep within limits) The doctor restricted him to 5 cigarettes a day. (医生限制他一天抽5支烟。) reject (refuse to accept ) 拒绝接受, 如：She rejected my suggestion.
本题译文：一些十几岁的孩子们往往对社会有普遍的逆反心理, 虽然他们发育成熟, 但社会拒绝给予他们同成年人一样的权利和优惠。
20. Though _____ in San Francisco, Dave Mitchell had always preferred to record the plain facts of small-town life.
A. raised B. grown
C. developed D. cultivated
[答案] A. raised
[注释]本句中Though raised in San Franciscos是省略的让步状语从句。Raise (=bring up) 抚养：grow种植; cultivate耕作; 培养 (友谊等) 。如cultivate后接某人, 则意为“培养与某人的感情”。如：John always tries to cultivate the people, who are useful to him professionally. (约翰一向喜欢与事业上对他有用的人来往。)
21. I'm afraid this painting is not by Picasso. It's only a copy and so it's _____.
A. priceless B. invaluable
C. unworthy D. worthless
[答案] D. worthless.
[注释] worthless 无价值的, 无用的。Priceless 无价的, 贵重的, 无法估价的：a priceless treasure 无价之宝。Invaluable 无法估价的, 非常宝贵的。Unworthy 不值得的, 不配的; 无价值的。
22. The final _____ of the play will take place on Monday.
A. action B. performance
C. view D. sight
[答案] B. performance.
[注释]performance (话剧的) 一场演出。
23. It was a long time before the cut on my hand _____ completely.
A. healed B. cured
C. improved D. recovered
[答案] A. healed.
24. To get my travelers' checks I had to have the bank _____ a special check for the total amount.
A. make up B. make out
C. make for D. make up for
[答案] B. make out..
25. She said she was glad the difficulty had been _____.
A. cleared away B. cleared up
C. broken away D. broken down
[答案] B. cleared up.
26. I used to be able to play well but I'm _____ now.
A. out of date
B. out of touch
C. out of practice
D. out of place
[答案] C. out of practice.
[注释] out of practice荒废, 久不练习; out of date 过时, 老式; out of touch失去联系; out of place详见 III, 70注释。
27. As soon as the children were _____, their mother got them out of bed and into the bathroom.
A. woke B. waken
C. wake D. awake
[答案] D. awake.
[注释]awake adj.醒着的 (作表语) 。Awake, awaken, wake, waken都可以作及物和不及物动词用, 但是awake多用作不及物动词, 其中wake最常用。
28. Jim was so badly burnt that at first they began to _____ of his life.
A. despair B. designate
C. disappoint D. despise
[答案] A. despair.
[注释] despair of (=be in despair) 对…….失望：1) Don't despair: things will get better soon. 2) He began to despair of success. 3) He despaired of being able to repair the TV set. (他对能否修好这台电视机表示失望。) designate指明, 指出, despise 轻视, 藐视。
29. The government's strong action demonstrated its _____ to crush the rebellion.
A. energy B. resistance
C. courage D. determination
[答案] D. determination.
[注释] determination意为“决心”, 后常接动词不定式作定语。
30. New mineral resources may be discovered during the forthcoming Antarctic _____.
A. excursion B. execution
C. extraction D. expedition
[答案] D. expedition.
[注释]expedition 远征, 探险; excursion 短途旅行, 游览; execution 实施, 执行; extraction 提取。
1. It is well known that Tomas Edison __________ the electric lamp.
2. I couldn’t enter the lab because I had ____________ the key in my office.
3. I regret ____________ you that we are unable to offer you employment.
C. to inform
B. having informed
D. to have informed
4. The chairman has informed us that he ____________a few minutes late after the meeting begins.
A. has arrived
C. could arrive
B. should arrive
D. may arrive
5. She had made __________many mistakes in the article that we couldn’t catch what she meant.
t C. so
6. I sincerely ____________him to make great progress with his new job in a short tine.
7. Is ____________ necessary to complete the design before National Day?
8. She said she would live in London for ____________ four or five years.
D. the others
9. Mr. Smith used to smoke ____________but he has given it up now.
10. Thousands of people took part in when the old temple ____________.
A. was rebuilding
C. would be rebuilt
B. was being rebuilt
D. had been rebuilt
1. I wish I could ___B__ some way of persuading him out of smoking.
A) think of
B) think about
C) think up
2. You should _A __ your desk before you leave the office.
A) clear up
B) set up
C) get off
D) put out of
3. Mr. Green is helping his daughter review her lessons, ___D__ his wife is preparing supper.
A) at the moment
B) in the meantime
C) at that time
D) for the same period of time
4. I __C__ getting plenty of morning exercises but I just can't get up early.
A) have the confidence in
B) believe in
C) put my faith to
D) place the trust at
5. The old man is proud of his three sons _A____ college in the same year.
C) to enter
D) for entering
26. Words are to a language __A___ bricks are to a building.
7. We don't accept the unequal treaties that the imperialists___D__ us.
A) pressed on
B) set upon
C) put up on
D) imposed on
8. __B__, the students had to go to bed.
A) The lights had gone out
C) The lights went out
B) The lights having gone out
D) The lights have gone out
9. We can see things happen at the exact moment _B__ they are happening
10. They paid fines of $300 each, _C__ about two months' wages.
C) equal to
D) the same as